10:00am-4:45pm (Each day)
Instructor – Gena Ferguson
CE Hours: 18
**Please Note** All 3 days are reserved with 3/15 booking; attendance is mandatory all 3 days to receive certification.
**In order to receive certification for this course, you must complete all three days (18 hours) of the training**
This is a course in prenatal massage therapy. Students will learn massage theory and techniques for all three trimesters of pregnancy, post-partum, and labor and delivery massage. Students will also become familiar with other modalities that can be employed during a prenatal session. Some basic techniques for additional modalities will be offered and students will be encouraged to continue their education.
- Students will be able to state the benefits of massage therapy during pregnancy. Both general benefits throughout and also individual benefits to each body system.
- Students will briefly review each body system and understand the changes that occur in each system during pregnancy
- Students will understand common ailments during pregnancy such as edema and morning sickness
- Students will learn basic considerations for massage therapy during each trimester and know how to position and drape the client as pregnancy progresses
- Students will review the lymphatic system, understand it’s role and how it is affected during pregnancy. They will gain an understanding of edema
- Students will learn basic lymphatic drain techniques specifically geared towards alleviating edema in pregnant clients
- Students will learn contraindications that are specific to pregnant women and learn how to identify whether or not massage therapy is appropriate for their clients
- Students will learn how to utilize Homan’s technique to identify deep vein thrombosis
- Students will learn about safe exercise during each trimester of pregnancy and how to talk to their clients about the importance of exercise
- Students will learn about kegal exercises. They will be able to state why they are important and how to teach their client to preform them.
- Students will receive a brief overview of aroma therapy and gain a basic understanding of how essential oils work
- Students will learn specific oils that are contraindicated during pregnancy, the benefits of specific oils in treating pregnancy related conditions and safe application techniques for those oils
- Students will receive a brief overview of reflexology and how it works
- Students will learn three reflex points that are specific to pregnancy and will learn natural ways to alleviate headaches and GI problems using reflexology.
- Students will learn about prenatal foot massage. How to use safely without stimulating the reflex point associated with the uterus
- Students will learn about episiotomy and how to avoid it by teaching their client perineal massage techniques
- Students will learn about the different stages of labor and learn which massage techniques are safe and useful during each stage
- Students will learn about post-natal massage and how the body changes post delivery
- Students will learn about sciatica and how to relive it from a side lying position
- Students will learn about marketing themselves as a prenatal therapist and understand how to set up a business as a prenatal therapist.